Tuesday, April 19, 2011

I think I can... I think I can...

With only a month to go until T-day, I'm finally at a point where I think I can complete this triathlon! I have completed each individual leg multiple times... I can swim 750m without drowning, bike 20k without falling off, and run 5k without walking. Success! Granted I have never done all three back-to-back, but I have done two in a row successfully. According to the all-knowing-online-triathlon-training program, I don't have to do them all for a couple more weeks.

Despite my newfound confidence, I do still have some concerns:
1. What do I wear that I can swim, bike and run in comfortably?
2. Since there won't be a black line at the bottom of the lake to help me go in a straight line, how will I know I'm not swimming crooked?
3. What is an acceptable time to finish?
4. Will my bicycle hold up??

The bicycle. I've learned the hard way that this is one of those things that you get what you pay for. Some things are, some things aren't. A bicycle is definitely on the "are" list. I didn't want to pay $600-$800 for a bike... not really in the budget. So I bought an older one that was fixed up, and I'm a little concerned it's a lemon. (Note: it's the last fixed-up bike I ever buy.) The second time I rode it, the chain fell off and wrapped around the pedal three times. So there I was, stranded on the trail with a broken bike and no cell phone, two miles from home. All those $800-bikers weren't so impressed. Since that fateful day, it's held up just fine. But I don't do any cell phone-less rides anymore.



Want more information on what this triatlon craziness is all about? Here's the link if you want to check it out. Feel free to come and cheer me on. Please bring your own cowbell, poster, or personalized shirt. Maybe then people will actually think I'm cool.
http://www.omahawomenstri.com/


32 days to go.
must... keep... training....

No comments:

Post a Comment