Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Monkey Bread

I realize my "Treats" section is growing faster than any other section, but welcome to my life. No denying it:  I love food.


After more than 30 years of hard work and dedication, one of my coworkers is retiring. Kathy has been one heck of a role model; she has taught me more than I could have imagined, and she has shown all of us "newbies" what it means to be a great nurse. I can only hope I last it as long in this field as she has.

Despite her seniority, Kathy still works the night shift. Usually it's the new graduate nurses who are subjected to working nocturnally, but Kathy is finishing her career on the graveyard shift. Because of this, the Retirement Party we hosted for Kathy was held at the end of her shift: at 7am. Not many workplaces have a 7am party, but we weren't opposed.

So what was I to make for a breakfast potluck? Egg casserole, coffee, juice, and fruit salad had all already been DIBS'ed by others. So why not monkey bread? I hadn't had monkey bread in years. Not since my waistline started caring what I eat for breakfast. But a retirement party? Good excuse to make it!

(However, I made this at 5:30am before going into work, so I was a little lacking on the pictures. Sorry--a very brief peek is all you get.)

Monkey Bread
adapted from The Pioneer Woman's recipe

3 cans buttermilk biscuits
3/4 cup sugar
3 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar

Cut the biscuits into quarters.
Combine the cinnamon and sugar in a large bowl or ziplock bag. Add the biscuits shake to coat all the biscuit chunks with the cinnamon-sugar. Place the biscuits into a pan.
In a sauce pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Stir in the brown sugar, and simmer for a few minutes until the brown sugar dissolves as much as it can. Pour the butter/brown sugar mixture over the biscuit chunks. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes, or until brown on top and no longer dough-y inside. Cool and invert onto a plate.






When I got to work, the monkey bread was still warm. The plate was empty within 5 minutes of the party starting. I think it was a hit.


I guess if you work the same job for 30+ years,
you deserve to indulge.
Happy Retirement, Kathy!

No comments:

Post a Comment