Friday, February 11, 2011

The Perfect Combination

Working 12 hour days can get kinda long, but it does have its advantages. The best one? Only working 3 days a week. If you passed the second grade, you know that means that I have 4 days off a week. How glorious! Yesterday was one of those days.

Yes, I was productive. I had two meetings, did some cleaning, that sort of thing. But I also had a fabulous day that I don't get to have when I'm working until 8pm.

The advantages of a day off:
  • Sleeping in past 5:30am.
  • Eating breakfast/lunch whenever I want to, not when my patients allow it.
  • Afternoon tea & gossip time with Sasha.
  • Sitting down for more than 30 minutes a day.
  • Happy Hour with my fellow Gamma Phi Young Alums.
  • Watching two evening tv shows without falling asleep.
  • Going to bed after 9:30.
It's like a weekend on Thursday!


I think the highlight of my day (probably because it happens the least often) was Happy Hour. We went to Jones Bros Cupcakes, and had a cupcake and a glass of wine. Granted, I could have done that much cheaper in the comfort of my own home, but it was the company that was so great. These girls get together for Dinner Club every couple of weeks, but it's usually on days that I'm working until 8pm. Yes, I only work 3 days a week, but they always manage to schedule it when I'm working. (Unintentionally of course. I swear, they really do like me. Right girls? Riiiight? haha.) So we caught up on life, talked about jobs or lack thereof, families, and other big adventures. What I love about these girls is that they're always willing to help in any way they can. We talked about a sister-friend who has been recently diagnosed with breast cancer. Everyone jumped at the opportunity to do whatever they can to help her and her family. A couple of the girls in attendance are looking for work more in the field of their college degree; there were offers all over the place for potential jobs. It wasn't a networking happy hour, but that definitely got accomplished.

The happy hour was probably also my favorite because I got a cupcake and  wine. Yes, I do enjoy going to Kona for a margarita and sushi, but this was a fun change. And much tastier in my opinion. Jones Bros has all kinds of fun cupcakes, cakes, and other treats. They also have sandwiches and salads if you're looking for a real meal. And their cupcakes are so good, they were just on Cupcake Wars on Tuesday. I hear it's a great show; everyone was raving about it on Wednesday. But really, with a cupcake, a glass of wine, and 8 great friends... how can you go wrong?



I love days off. And cupcakes. And wine. And my friends. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment