Tuesday, November 8, 2011

86 Miles Later....

After last year's 86-mile relay run, I swore I wouldn't do it again.

Apparently I lied.

We ran it again.

This year was the fourth annual Market to Market Relay Run, that begins at Omaha's Old Market and finishes 86 miles later at Lincoln's Haymarket Park. It's a team relay, with each leg of the race being three to five miles. Each runner runs an average of three times, and each team has a van that rushes the next runner to the next checkpoint. And of course, each team has their own costume.

Last year we got second place in the women's division, coming in just four minutes slower than the winning team. And for an 11-hour race, four minutes is pretty minimal. This year our goal was to win, but it didn't happen. The competition was much stiffer... and some of our teammates decided it was time to have babies! We ended up in 7th place in our division, but we had a great time anyway.

About two hours into the day. Finishing my first leg and handing off to Theresa.



Waiting at a checkpoint. The Dashing Divas on the Run (minus Kayla, who was running):
Me, Amy L., Theresa, Eric (our rockstar driver), Shannon, Mallory, and Katie.



Kayla and I just after I finished my first leg.


Kayla, me, and Theresa waiting at another checkpoint.



All done! Eleven hours later at the Finish Line Shindig at Haymarket Park in Lincoln.




(I couldn't walk for the next three days.)

No comments:

Post a Comment