Sunday, February 5, 2012

Laramie Week 2: in review

Week numero dos was another good one.


Fun fact: It was the first week in my life that I've worked 8 to 5 Monday thru Friday. No joke.


I now understand the reasoning behind Rebecca Black's smashing hit "Friday". Yes, I was indeed singing it when I went to bed Thursday.. even before Friday hit.


Work went really well this week. I'm getting to know the patients, I know nearly all the staff, and I even met the oncologist this week. [yes, singular. one oncologist.] Everyone was still wonderfully helpful and welcoming. Oh, and I got my first paycheck. Can't ever complain about that.


This weekend I had plans to go to Denver [again], but due to 7 inches of snow here, a whopping 18 inches of snowfall in the Denver area, and closed interstates, I decided that maybe wasn't the best idea. So instead I camped out in Laramie for the weekend. Saturday wasn't very eventful, but I was quite productive on the wedding front. 


Sunday morning I went snowshoeing with a girl from work and two of her friends. I had never been before so I didn't know what to expect, but it was great! We went one girl's ranch within the Snowy Range of mountains to the west of the city. We strapped on the snowshoes and headed for the trail. They had gotten 28 inches of show in the previous 36 hours, so the path was a little dicey! It had been trekked once the day before so we had a path, but it definitely wasn't packed down much. I learned the hard way that I had to pay attention to how I was walking... after I fell four times! 


During our walk over the river and through the woods [literally], we saw some exciting wildlife. We saw a few packs of antelope, two elk, the fresh tracks of a very large moose, and fresh claw marks from a mountain lion going up a tree. It was exciting for a little Iowa farm girl who's used to seeing white tail deer and rabbits!


Following the leader through the woods.

The snowshoeing trail.

The view from the top. Altitude: 8700ft.




All in all, week two was a successful one. I did a lot of learning, a little exploring, and a good amount of relaxing. I'm looking forward to my third week here, while at the same time counting down my weeks until I return home.... eleven weeks left!


**There's no place like home**

No comments:

Post a Comment