Friday, May 13, 2011

Camaraderie

After 19 weeks of (fairly consistent) training, I felt quite prepared for this triathlon. Until yesterday.
USAT, the organization that sponsors triathlons, held a practice swim last evening at the lake where the triathlon will be taking place in a mere nine days. I was nervously excited going into this, and becoming more nervous on the ride out there. But Kate had enough excitement for both of us.
As we were walking down to the lake, we were literally the only two people not wearing wetsuits. USAT had offered wetsuit rentals for those who wanted to pay an extra $50 and look *cool*. Kate and I, the cheap-o’s that we are, decided against this. However, with a 64* water temperature, we were definitely second guessing that decision.
But we powered on. We put on our swim caps and goggles, sported our swimming gear, and headed for the water. The serious, time-qualifying triathloners were the first to get in. Kate and I hung back so we wouldn’t get run over swam over.
We started with the look-where-you’re-going, head-out-of-the-water crawl stroke, which by the way I have never been good at. And then I panicked. I started hyperventilating, and I couldn’t catch my breath. In my freaking-out state, I swallowed a substantial amount of gross, green, fishy lake water. This was clearly NOT what I had been training for. I was used to a pool of clear water, with no wake, a black line to see where I’m going, a side to push off of with my feet, and the security of a floor that I could stand on if I absolutely had to. Now, I had none of this. What had I gotten myself into? I have never, in my 25 years of life, felt so over my head.
I was definitely overwhelmed. I wanted my 24 Hour Fitness pool back. Or a floatie. Maybe waterwings? Perhaps just a shallow lake. But I had none of those things. I had a half-mile of water in front of me, and no way to turn back.
But Kate, the amazing, supportive, encouraging friend that she is, kept me going. She got me past the first two buoys until I knew I could do it on my own. I finished the majority of the swim doing the backstroke (not cool, I know). But it was working for me, so I continued with that. After finishing, catching my breath, and analyzing my problems, Kate and I went back out for more. Kate helped me figure out what would work for me, and by the end I felt much more comfortable in the murky water. I felt like I could do the whole swim again with my new plan of attack. But the fishing boats and the USAT man were ready for Kate and I to get our buns out of the lake.
I guess this is why they have practice swims. And why I have great friends. I literally could not have finished the swim yesterday on my own. And without Kate, I would not be looking forward to race day. So to Kate… Thank you. Gracias. Danke. Merci. You are an amazing woman.
Here's the lake. That orange buoy was about 1/4 of the way through the swim. You can't even see the two yellow ones they're so far away! Ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment