Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Living the West

Well, it's been about 28 hours since I arrived in Laramie. Although I came here to work, I haven't done a bit of that yet. So far I've just been getting acquainted with my surroundings. Last night when I got here, I was welcomed home by my new roommate Jenn. She's a friend of a friend [of a friend], but apparently my friends make good friend choices. She has been very welcoming and I think we'll get along great.


The drive was pretty uneventful. Nebraska was the usual... endless brown fields, several scattered farm homes and a few small-ish towns. The drive between Cheyenne and Laramie was all  mountains; it was just beautiful. It seemed like a constant climb [which my cruise control didn't really like], and my curiosity got the best of me. I just had to download an altimeter app on my phone... Thank you AppStore for having a free one. I got up to nearly 8700 feet, then the descent to 7400 feet led me to Laramie. 


Today I explored the town [I can't quite call it a city]... I got myself some groceries, found the Wal-Mart [no Target], got a PO Box so I can get the necessary mail [you know how to reach me if you want my new address... snail mail very welcome], and found a gym. I even found the local eye doctor so that I could get my glasses fixed. [They didn't even charge me!] I found the hospital where I'll be working and spent the rest of the afternoon unpacking and getting settled.  Everyone here has been very nice, and I think it will be an enjoyable 3 months.


We don't have cable or internet yet, so I'm currently at a coffee shop drinking tea and watching The Bachelor. [Don't judge.] Otherwise I'm just waiting for my nursing license to go through so I can start my job.




Here's a view of my street this morning. You can't see the mountains very well because of the falling snow and the fog, but you get the gist. 

Since I don't know anyone here, feel free to call.. skype.. email.. or even visit! I'd love any form of company so I don't get too lonely here! [I'll try not to get too homesick.]


I hope the winter is treating you well wherever you might be. Stay warm and drive safely!

No comments:

Post a Comment